Monday, February 02, 2009

Temple ruins, a monkey, elephant rides, and two additional nights in Bangkok

Angkor Wat is but one temple amongst the many ruins, named for their most famous temple, close to the town of Siem Reap which seems to exist for the sole purpose of providing food and shelter to those coming to see said ruins.

After looking around Angkor Wat we came in contact with a monkey! He didn't seem as happy to see us as we were him. Nonetheless, he ate some dried pineapple and let Azure touch him before he charged her in marsupial rage yeilding a humourous sheik from his prey.

In our day of temple ruin hoping we accomplished one of the common life goals of many and rode the elephants. This was followed by feeding them bananas. We got some great pictures to be posted when I get back to the Northeast.

Concerning the subject of this post, I am sure you are bewildered by the word 'additional'. Please, calm youself and let me explain. See, it is now our third night in Bangkok, and as the song goes, one only needs one night, and let me tell you that it is nothing if not true.

"How is this?", you ask with your characteristic inquiry.

I was humbled by at least two things after one night.

1) It has been our goal to pay only the equivalent of $10 a night in between the three of us on lodgings. Well, in this large, cosmopolitan, iconic, metropolis, this proved very difficult resulting in a surrender to the equivalent of $14 a night. We stand humbled.

2) Not far from our guesthouse, in what we like to refer to as the backpackers ghetto, there is a stand serving fruit smoothies made from fresh fruit on the spot. I have never had a more delicious nor nourishing treat in all my life. My body was soon satiated with all vitamins which it had been previously lacking. Truly a humbling experience.

I don't precisely recall the lyrics of the song outside of the main hook, but I'm fairly certain that they are along these lines.

I'm running out of time at this cafe! Onto Kuala Lumpur, Maylaysia next!

2 Comments:

Blogger ashley said...

I'm so happy that you're posting! Keep 'em coming since those of us who can't travel at the moment are living vicariously through you and yer travel posse.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Will do, though we're nearing the end and then it's back to ol' Korea with its fancy toilets.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home